The Governing Body is made up of a group of volunteers, from different walks of life who give their time and expertise freely for the benefit of our school.
Our Governing Body is set up as follows:
|Governor||Governor Type||Date Of Appointment||Term of Office Expires||Declaration of interest or relationships with staff||
Reverend Jeanette Roberts
|Ex Officio Foundation||Ex-officio||None||100%|
The Work of the Governing Body
Governors work as a team called the governing body. They are responsible for making sure our school provides a good quality education. Governors also promote effective ways of teaching and learning when setting the school aims and policies. They do this together with the Head Teacher who is responsible for the day to day management of the school. Every school must have a governing body. The membership will vary according to the type of school. The governing body has some discretion of the numbers of governors.
All governing bodies include governors who are:
- Parents - elected by parents at the school
Staff - elected by the Head, teachers and support staff at the school
- The Head teacher is entitled to be a staff governor without an election
Additionally, as a church school we have foundation governors who are appointed by the church. We also have co-opted governors who are appointed by the Governing Body.
The governing body's main role is to help raise standards of achievement. It:
- is accountable for the performance of the school to parents and the wider community
- plans the school's future direction
- selects the head teacher
- makes decisions on the school's budget and staffing
- makes sure the national curriculum is taught
- decides how the school can encourage pupil's spiritual, moral and social development
- makes sure the school provides for all its pupils, including those with special needs.
Our governors support and challenge the Head Teacher by gathering views, asking questions and deciding what's best for the school. They are not there to rubber stamp decisions. They are at the heart of how our school operates and are mindful of how important it is to get things right.
If you wish to know more about the role of the governing body, or whether there are any vacancies for a governor at Norland CE School please contact our Chair of Governors at the school.